Every homeowner should be aware of the importance of residential heating and air conditioning advice available to them. Awareness of the various advice available to you can help you maintain a comfortable temperature in your home with much more energy efficiency. Having the air in your home comfortable will help you live better.
Central forced air heating systems utilize a furnace that pushes heat throughout a building by way of a series of ducts within the walls and ceilings. Having the proper temperature and humidity levels also makes people in the buildings more comfortable.
Repair technicians have to maintain, diagnose and repair any problems that arise within these systems. To do this, they adjust the controls so as to test the performance levels throughout the whole system. They also use specialized tools and equipment especially designed for these systems. Maintenance of these systems is an essential part of having them stay energy efficient.
Heating and air conditioning, (HVAC) systems consist of many mechanical and electronic components including compressors, pumps, fans, pipes, thermostats, etc. These are delicate appliances and needs proper care and maintenance. Central heating and cooling systems are more prone to failure as they stand the extreme weather conditions. This is the reason why an expert technician is always needed in order to repair, maintain, diagnose, as well as correct the severe problems throughout the system.
WHY IS REGULAR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR RECOMMENDED FOR HEATING AND AIR-CONDITIONING SYSTEMS?
Do you think that doing regular check-ups for your HVAC will cost you more? If you do, well, you should really reconsider. The truth is, getting regular maintenance services for your systems could actually save you more money in the long run. A regular monthly check-up by a professional could save you the hassle of experiencing more serious and costly repairs that might come up. If you live in an area that is extremely cold or extremely hot, you may be overworking your heating and / or air conditioning system to its maximum potential. For that reason, the systems might start accumulating all kinds of problems if not checked regularly. Doing check-ups monthly could also help lower your energy bills which will definitely save you some extra bucks along the way.
HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR TIPS
Air-conditioning generally requires constant care for proper functioning. Many companies provide such services nowadays. Nevertheless, there are simple routine procedures that one can follow to avoid major problems. You can hire a technician to take care of your air conditioning system, but for simple problems, you can follow a do it yourself routine.
- Check the condenser. The outside portion of your air conditioner or heat pump is called the condenser. This expels the air from inside and sucks in fresh air to be circulated around your house. It is essential that it is allowed to do this free from obstacles. Your air conditioner might be running smoothly, but might be failing to cool. In such a case, check the condenser. Open the condenser unit and remove debris out. The condenser should have free outlet and should not be obstructed by anything. If there are obstructions such as tree branches or furniture, then remove them from that site. The compressor unit contains a fan that can gather loads of dirt. Clean the fan and remove dirt from that as well. Do not hose with water. Wipe with a wet cloth only. Be careful not to hose down any electrical circuit. This might lead to major air conditioning repair.
- Clean your filters. Perhaps the simplest way to perform maintenance is to clean the filters on your unit. They are usually easily found and removable. You may be surprised at how much dust and hair you’ll find in them, especially if you’ve got cats or dogs. The debris that accumulates on filters could be doing harm to you and your family’s respiratory system so make sure you check and clean them regularly. The filters help in separating the dust and providing clean air to the interior. If the filters are filthy, the air conditioning system has to work overtime to cool or heat. To clean filters, use damp lint free cloth or soft cleaning brushes.
- Set the thermostat. Turn on the power and set the thermostat to the required temperature. If you have done everything right, then the condenser pipe should feel warm and the inlet should feel cool.
- The thermostat should be placed in a position where it can get the right sample of the temperature of the air of the room. If not, it can create massive gradients in temperature. In addition, if the air is not recycled properly by the pump, the exchange of cool and hot air is disrupted. The pump issue needs a qualified technician.
WEIRD NOISES FROM THE A/C UNIT
- Loose screws and mechanical friction are the two main reasons for noise. Proper lubrication would resolve the issue. Use the prescribed motor oils and lubricants and check the manual for the intervals of lubrication. Else, the optimal time would be once in a year.
- Leakage in pipes is the main reason for dripping water. Replace the pipe. If the pipes were fine then the next thing would be to check the pump. If the condensation process in not happening in the condenser, then the pump is not pumping the exchanged hot air into the condenser. The pump needs to be repaired or replaced. Sometimes green moulds might be growing in the connecting pipes. These can be clean with bleach and the issue may get resolved.
- Your system may sit idle for months at a time while the weather is mild. Before turning it on have a general tidy. Ensure all of the panels are in place and that the unit as a whole is secure. Remove any debris or dead leaves from the intakes and ensure you’ve got fresh batteries in your remote.
PROVIDE A MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
- This is another important decision that you must perform if you have bought an air conditioning unit. Qualified maintenance personnel will thoroughly clean the unit and even check the parts for wear and tear. This is called preventive maintenance. This is very important if you have large centralized units installed. For small window type units, you can do it every 6 months.
MORE THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
In general there are many things that you can do on your own to make sure your HVAC system is functioning properly.
- Check your circuit breakers to make sure all are switched to the proper positions.
- Look for corrosion around visible electrical connections on your furnace and A/C unit.
- Make sure your pilot light is lit if you are experiencing heating problems. Always change the filters on your systems according to the manufacturer’s specified intervals.
- If you notice that your air conditioning unit is icing up, turn it off immediately and contact a professional.
By following these tips you can avoid costly heating and air conditioning repair work for many years. Routine maintenance from a certified professional will cost a little money but keep in mind that it will cost far more to fix a problem caused by not caring for your system properly.